Case study Overview
Part of the BNP Paribas group of companies, Cetelem is a sub-brand that specialises in selling consumer credit. The business approached eBay Advertising to help it target a very particular and relevant audience – people about to buy a car, motorbike or boat, and who needed credit to finance the purchase.
For this campaign, Cetelem wanted to evaluate the potential of eBay's targeting options that would in theory deliver and improved click rate and conversion to sale. The ultimate aim of the exercise was to generate approved credit demands.
We leveraged our knowledge of eBay users to test a number of targeting variants.
The first is contextual targeting where we focus on the current page that the user is surfing.
The second is behavioural targeting where we look at what pages the user has surfed before. For this we can analyse up to 90 days worth of usage history.
These two methods were tested across different situations, one of which was a 'control' run-of-site campaign. With the ads linking prospects through to a co-branded application microsite, the four test variants were:
- eBay Auto targeted campaign (contextual)
- Run-of-site campaign targeting users who had previously searched on eBay Auto (behavioural)
- eBay Auto targeted campaign (contextual) running on eBay registered users only
- eBay Auto targeted campaign (contextual) targeting users who had previously searched on eBay Auto (behavioural)
Targeting delivered significantly different results to the control. For instance, the campaign targeting users on eBay Auto who had previously looked for a car on eBay Auto achieved a CTR 60% higher and a conversion rate 8.5 times more than the control. Interestingly, the campaign targeting those users currently surfing eBay Auto gave a CTR 40% higher than the control but only 2.5 times increase in conversion. All of this information pointed to a couple of significant learnings:
- Contextual targeting provides more relevancy and thus improves clickthrough/rate
- Behavioural targeting delivers better quality traffic and, as such, increases conversion
The overall effect of combining the various methods was a performance improvement of x14 the control.